Fishing is emerging as a raging sport for tons of people in the United States and elsewhere too. If you are one of those beginners or novices, it can be tough to figure out where to start. Well, that’s exactly why we are here. This brief, but informative, article of fishing tips for beginners will have you catching fish in no time.
So, first thing’s first. You can’t just grab your fishing equipment and turn up at a lake for fishing. Well, you could, but that would be illegal and you could face hefty fines if caught. So, get a fishing license from the relevant authorities first and then you can start. Check the local laws of your state to determine where you can get your fishing license from. In some states, you can even go to Walmart and get your fishing license.
So, now that you’re official and legit let’s get you started with the right equipment.
Your first step should be to think about the type and species of fish that you wish to catch. This will determine the type of equipment that you will need. There are multiple types of lines available. The classic one is the monofilament. The next thing to do will be to match the line to the rod. Each and every fishing rod has its own matching line class, lure weight, and other information mentioned right on it.
While choosing your fishing rod, there are 3 important things to look out for:
- Action – this refers to the flexibility of the rod. The faster a rod’s action, the greater it’s sensitivity, and the more swiftly you will feel vibration in the rod. Make sure that you test the rod in the store. While testing, ensure that the rod it feels comfortable in your hand, and examine how much it bends.
- Length – the type of fishing that you wish to engage in will determine the ideal length of your rod. However, around 5 and half or 6 inches would be the ideal length.
- Reel – there are two common types of spinning reels – one that is attached below the rod, and the other that is on the top of the rod. However, a spinning reel would be the most suitable for you as a beginner.
- Lures and Bait.
A jig is the most commonly used lure that can be used with all types of lures. However, for certain types of fish, there are special kinds of lures. We have separate articles for different species of fishes and their tips, so you can refer to these articles for the kind of lure you should chose.
For a beginner, casting tips are very crucial. Learning how to cast is a prerequisite. Hence, while using a spinning reel:
- Hold the line against the rod with the help of your index finger.
- The bale is the wire cage opens and closes the reel. Open the bale with your other hand.
- Throw the lure out into the water, letting your finger off the rod as you cast to release the line. The weight of the lure will send the line out.
There are 2 P’s of Fishing: Patience and Practice. Practice makes perfect. All you get is just one or at the maximum two casts before all the fish gets frightened away.
What this means is that you need as much accuracy as you can muster the first time you cast out. This leads us to our last fishing tips for beginners.
Before jumping into the water and getting disappointed, take some trials beforehand. Go to an open field, put down some rings on the field as targets and try to cast into them. This should help you the necessary practice to work on distance and accuracy.
By practicing and improving your aim, you will drastically increase your chances of getting a catch successfully.
Apply these fishing tips, as a beginner, and soon you’ll become a fish finding pro.